American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol.123, no.6, pp.620-623, 2003 (SCI-Expanded)
The prevalence and rank of order of 4 otologic complaints in 200 temporomandibular disorder (TMD) patients, as well as the relationship between the complaints and TMD subgroups, were investigated and compared with an asymptomatic control group. No subjective otologic complaints were reported by 45 (22.5%) TMD patients; the remaining 155 (77.5%) patients had at least 1 otologic complaint. Otalgia, tinnitus, vertigo, and hearing loss were reported by 63.6%, 59.1%, 50%, and 36.4%, respectively, of the subjects with myofascial pain and dysfunction; by 46.1%, 44.2%, 32.5%, and 22% of the patients with internal derangement; and by 62.5%, 45.8%, 41.6%, and 20.8% of the patients with both myofascial pain and dysfunction and internal derangement. However, the incidence of otalgia (8%), tinnitus (26%), vertigo (14%), and hearing loss (14%) was found to be lower for the control group. Statistically, the control group had fewer otologic complaints. Patients in the TMD groups had high incidences of otologic complaints compared with the control subjects without TMD signs or symptoms. Aural symptoms in patients with internal derangement or myofascial pain and dysfunction, or their combination, were nonspecific.