A cross-sectional study of epistaxis: Etiologic and clinical characteristics Epistaksis üzerine kesitsel bir çalışma: Etyolojik ve klinik özellikler

Creative Commons License

Özgür A., Birinci M., Coşkun Z. Ö., TERZİ S., Erdivanlı Ö. Ç., Demirci M., ...More

Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine, vol.7, no.6, pp.804-806, 2016 (SCI-Expanded) identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 7 Issue: 6
  • Publication Date: 2016
  • Doi Number: 10.4328/jcam.4336
  • Journal Name: Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, TR DİZİN (ULAKBİM)
  • Page Numbers: pp.804-806
  • Keywords: ENT emergencies, Epistaxis, Etiologic factors
  • Lokman Hekim University Affiliated: No


© 2016, Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine. All rights reserved.Aim: The aim of this study is to evaluate the etiologic, clinical, and demographic characteristics of patients who were examined for epistaxis in our department over a one-year period and to discuss treatment modalities. Material and Method: Patients who were admitted to our clinic with complaints of epistaxis between December 2014 and December 2015 were included in this cross-sectional study. The archival records of 589 patients were reviewed retrospectively, and 558 patients with sufficient archival records were included in the study group. Etiologic factors, clinical features, and treatment approaches were examined. Results: The leading factors for the etiology of epistaxis were trauma, cardiovascular disease, and allergic rhinitis. A total of 114 (20.4%) patients had active bleeding at admission whereas 444 (79.6%) had no active bleeding. In the evaluated group, 24 (4.3%) were hospitalized. The remaining 534 (95.7%) patients were treated as outpatients. The average length of stay was six days (3–23 days) for hospitalized patients. Discussion: Although the bleeding was self-limited in the majority of patients with epistaxis, life-threatening conditions have been known to occur on rare occasions. We believe that this cross-sectional study contributes to the literature by defining the etiology and treatment planning of epistaxis in our country.