Cancer Investigation, vol.26, no.4, pp.401-406, 2008 (SCI-Expanded)
Background: High dose chemotherapy with autologous stem cell transplantation is currently the treatment of choice for relapsed or refractory lymphoma patients. However, its applicability is mostly restricted to patients responding to salvage chemotherapy. Optimal salvage regimen for these patients is unclear. In this study, our aim was to compare the efficacy and toxicity profiles of DHAP (cytosine arabinoside, cisplatin and dexamethasone) and ICE (ifosfamide, carboplatin and etoposide) regimens in the salvage treatment of relapsed and refractory lymphoma. Patients and Methods: In this retrospective analysis, 53 patients with primary refractory or relapsed Hodgkin's disease (HD) (n = 13) or non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) (n = 40) who received ICE or DHAP salvage regimen were included. Results: Of 53 patients, 21 (39,6%) were female and the median age was 43 years. A total of 73 courses of ICE and 59 courses of DHAP were administered. Response could be evaluated in 49 patients (36 NHL and 13 HD). Of 49 patients, 11 (22.5%) achieved complete remission (CR) and 17 (35%) achieved partial remission (PR), leading to an overall response rate (ORR: CR + PR) of 57.5%. In the evaluable ICE group (n = 22) rates of CR, PR, and ORR were 27%, 41% and 68% and in the DHAP group (n = 27) rates of CR, PR, and ORR were 18%, 30% and 48% (p = 0.24, for ORR). Toxicity with both regimens was within acceptable limits. The major grade III-IV toxicities for both groups were hematological (neutopenia and thrombocytopenia). The main non-hematological toxicity was renal and observed in 8 patients. Conclusion: Although the toxicity profiles of both ICE and DHAP regimens were similar in the treatment of patients with relapsed or refractory HD or NHL, ICE seems to have higher rates of response than DHAP regimen does. Copyright © Informa Healthcare USA, Inc.